Thug killed girlfriend’s unborn baby before she was found ‘naked in cupboard’

A jealous thug who killed his girlfriend's unborn baby in a violent rage has been jailed for life following a string of vicious assaults.

Asa Davison, from Gillingham, brutally attacked his pregnant partner because he resented that another man had fathered her child.

His victim, who was seven months pregnant at the time, had to tragically give birth to her dead baby following the vicious assault.

It was reported that Davison subjected his girlfriend to a series of frenzied attacks, which on one occasion led to her hiding naked in a cupboard inside his home.

The 35-year-old was told he would serve a minimum of 12 years behind bars before being considered for parole because his behaviour was “violent, manipulative and grooming in nature” – which meant he posed a danger to the public.

He was found guilty of child destruction, inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent (GBH), actual bodily harm (ABH) and perverting the course of justice following a trial at Bournemouth Crown Court in November last year.

At the sentencing hearing on Thursday, Judge Cutts said she had rejected the evidence he had given during the trial that he only sought to help and support the victim.

“You were no knight on a white charger. You are a controlling man who is quick to anger and violence, as she discovered at her cost,” Judge Cutts said.

The court heard how Davison had offered the woman a place to stay, saying he disliked the way she was being treated by her then partner. Shortly afterwards, they became a couple.

The woman then found out she was pregnant with her former partner’s child but he decided to stay in a relationship with her, where his “resentment simmered”, the judge said.

  • Inside UK’s most pricey prison – with footy pitches, posh courtyards and a fishing lake

On May 29, 2020 Davison and his pregnant partner were in Gillingham town centre when she was caught on CCTV running away from him.

Davison was then seen on his bicycle looking for her and he followed her to a block of flats in the town.

“You followed her there, not, I find, to make sure she was all right but to punish her,” Judge Cutts said.

“In all probability, it was in the stairwell of those flats that you assaulted her and she was later found with swelling to her forehead, bruising to her upper arms, a fracture to her eye socket and fractures to her nasal bone.

“But it was not only her that you hurt. There was another victim of your violent and callous offending.

"Bruising was found to her pregnant abdomen in the shape of a fist. Her baby died as a result.”

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .

Despite Davison being told not to contact her, the woman began once again living with him and in September that year, he assaulted his partner again.

When he was arrested, he went on to pervert the course of justice by making recorded phone calls to her from prison encouraging her to make a false statement to the police.

The court heard how Davison had been violent to previous partners, including kicking his pregnant ex-girlfriend in the stomach and threatening her with a knife.

Judge Cutts commended Sergeant George Graham, Detective Inspector Neil Third and Pc Kate Schofield of Dorset Police for their work in investigating the “extraordinarily difficult case with a victim who has not wished to cooperate with police”.

If you have been affected by issues of domestic violence or coercive control you can call Refuge's 24-Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline for free. The number is 0808 2000 247.

Source: Read Full Article