Postwoman dies after being stuck for three days in tower block lift when no one heard her screams for help | The Sun

A POSTWOMAN tragically died after being stuck in a lift for three days during her round delivering mail.

Mum-of-one Olga Leontyeva, 32, desperately called for help after getting trapped in the lift in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

But a source said that "no one heard her shouts for help."

The woman had been reported missing by her worried relatives after she failed to return from work on July 24.

Her body was found in the lift stuck on the top floor of a nine-storey high rise.

Footage shows the postwoman entering the lift and going to the top floor with letters to deliver- moments before the lift failed.

Her family reported her missing two days later and her body was found on July 27 following an intensive search.

It is understood that the alarm system did not work after the lift was stopped during a power cut.

However, according to other reports the lift had been suffering regular technical problems and had not been properly registered.

Breakdowns in the lift were “common”, according to Tashkent General Prosecutor’s Office.

Most read in The Sun


Hannah Spearritt claims she was left out of S Club's reunion tour


Ashley Cole marries model fiancée Sharon Canu in lavish Italian wedding


Girl, 5, raped and strangled to death before police find body dumped inside sack


Vic Beckham stuns in bikini on £5m yacht after Harry & Meghan 'fallout'

A criminal case has been launched and state investigators are examining all aspects of the incident, said the prosecutor’s office.

An earlier check on the Chinese-manufactured lift had found it to be in working order, said a report, yet it had not been registered according to government regulations.

The power supplier denied there had been an electricity cut.

Fakhriddin Nuraliyev, spokesman for Regional Electricity Networks enterprise, told that there were no power cuts in the apartment building on the days in question.

"This is evidenced by the records of emergency shutdowns,” he said.

“The cause of the incident was the malfunction of the lift. This was confirmed by the residents of the house as well.”

Source: Read Full Article