US election 2020 – Trump in coronavirus quarantine after aide tests positive could hamper reelection campaign

President Trump is in quarantine after a top aide he traveled with this week has tested positive for coronavirus.

Hope Hicks began having symptoms of COVID-19 on Wednesday when traveling back from Minnesota on Air Force One – and was confirmed to have the virus on Thursday.

Trump told Fox News that he was tested for the virus, and is now in quarantine as he and First Lady Melania Trump await test results.

He tweeted on Thursday: "Hope Hicks, who has been working so hard without even taking a small break, has just tested positive for Covid 19. Terrible!

"The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!"

If Trump tests positive, it could set back his campaign strategy if he's forced to quarantine for an extended period with just a little more than 30 days to the election.

Follow our US Election 2020 blog for the latest news and updates...

  • Hana Carter

    TRUMP 'BIGGEST DRIVER OF THE WORLD'S COVID-19 MISINFORMATION'

    President Donald Trump has been the world's biggest driver of Covid-19 misinformation during the pandemic, a study from Cornell University said.

    A team from the Cornell Alliance for Science evaluated 38 million articles published by English-language, traditional media worldwide between January 1 and May 26 of this year.

    Comments made by the president were at the center of 38 per cent of the 522,472 articles that spread misinformation.

  • Hana Carter

    TRUMP'S SCOTUS DID NOT DISLCOSE PARTICIPATION IN ANTI-ABORTION AD

    Judge Amy Coney Barrett, Donald Trump's pick to the US Supreme Court, had been a part of a 2006 two-page ad slamming the “barbaric legacy” of abortion rights, according to NBC News.

    This comes after fears she would work to undo the landmark ruling in Roe v Wade, which provides constitutional protection to women’s healthcare.

  • Hana Carter

    TOP GOP AIDE REVEALS BALLOT FAIL

    A top gop aide posted a picture showing eight election ballots mailed to the same home and “zero ballots were for the current resident.”

    Nathan Brand posted a photo of the ballots to Twitter in response to a tweet from a journalist showing a similar situation in his home.

    Brand tweeted the caption: “A Washington, DC friend had EIGHT ballots sent to her apartment. ZERO ballots were for the current resident.”

    The comments come after an FBI probe has been launched after mail-in ballots cast for Donald Trump were allegedly trashed by a temporary worker.

    The incident in the swing-state Pennsylvania has added fuel to Trump's efforts to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the upcoming election which he said was susceptible to fraud.

  • Hana Carter

    TRUMP: 'WON'T ALLOW THE DEBATE COMMISSION TO CHANGE THE RULES'

    President Trump said he will not allow any changes to presidential debate rules after he “easily won” Tuesday's debate against Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

    Trump's comments come after the Commission on Presidential Debates said it would be adopting changes to give moderators more control of debates, which may include the ability to mute the candidates' microphones.

    “Why would I allow the Debate Commission to change the rules for the second and third Debates when I easily won last time?” Trump tweeted on Thursday afternoon.

    The commission said it is considering giving the moderators of the next two presidential debates the ability to mute the microphones of both Trump and Biden while the other is speaking.

    Tuesday's moderator, Chris Wallace, had to remind the president several times during the debate that his campaign agreed to the terms — which gave each candidate two uninterrupted minutes to answer his questions.

  • Alahna Kindred

    'ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE'

    The Trump campaign attacked the Commission on Presidential Debates today.

    His reelection campaign claimed it was biased against the president and has called for “additional structure” in the remaining debates.

    Jason Miller, a senior campaign adviser, said on the call: “We do not want any changes.”

    A number of commentators have called for the moderator to be allowed to turn off the candidate's microphone if they don't follow the debate format.

  • Hana Carter

  • Hana Carter

    PELOSKI BRANDS TRUMP A 'BULLY'

    Speaker Nancy Pelosi has indicated that she had trouble sleeping after Tuesday night’s debate between Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

    “As Speaker, people say to me, ‘What keeps you up at night?’” she said at a press conference on Thursday at the Capitol.

    “The night of the debate, you saw what keeps me up at night,” she said.

    He is an “authentically a bully,” Ms Pelosi said.

  • Hana Carter

    MCENANY HITS OUT AT PRESS

    White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany’s relationship reached new lows as she reportedly threw insults at the reporters who urged her to “unambiguously” denounce white supremacy.

    “He has condemned white supremacy more than any president in modern history,” Ms McEnany declared.

    Despite having constant opportunities to condemn white supremacy groups such as the Proud Boys on behalf of the President, Ms McEnany refused.

    Instead she pointed to past statements on behalf of the president and White House.

  • Hana Carter

    CHRIS WALLACE: “I'M SAD THE WAY IT TURNED OUT”

    News anchor Chris Wallace is said to still be reeling from the presidential debate on Tuesday night – branding it as “terrible missed opportunity”.

    The Fox News Sunday host was slammed for his handling of President Trump and Joe Biden's face off – which turned into a shouting match.

    “I’m just sad with the way last night turned out,” Wallace, 72, told the New York Times.

    “I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did,” he said.

  • Hana Carter

    JOE BIDEN HITS OUT AT TRUMP FOR TAXES

  • Hana Carter

    WHO ARE THE PROUD BOYS?

    The alt-right group, who is lead by Henry ‘Enrique’ Tarrio, shot to prominence this week after Donald Trump told them to “stand by” during Tuesday's fiery presidential debate.

    When asked to condemn white supremacists the US President said: "Proud Boys – stand back and stand by."

    His campaign staff have scrambled to play down his message to the group which has been accused of extremist politics and openly encouraging violence.

    Created in 2016 by Vice Media co-founder Gavin McInnes, the Proud Boys have seen their numbers swell during Trump's time in office following high profile street brawls with anti-fascist protesters.

    The Proud Boys, who take their name from a song from Aladdin, are a self-described “pro-Western fraternal organisation for men” – with bizarre membership rules that even ban masturbation.

    Described by civil rights group the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as an 'alt-right fight club', anyone can reportedly join the gang by declaring: “I am a western chauvinist, and I refuse to apologise for creating the modern world.”

  • Christy Cooney

    DEBATE A 'TERRIBLE MISSED OPPORTUNITY', SAYS WALLACE

    Tuesday night's debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden was a “terrible missed opportunity”, host Chris Wallace has said.

    The quality of the debate drew criticism following repeated interruptions by the president and name-calling by both candidates.

    Speaking to the New York Times, Wallace, normally an anchor for Fox News, said: “I’m just sad with the way [the night] turned out. I’ve read some of the reviews.

    “I guess I didn’t realize – and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 – that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”

    Describing his thoughts while onstage, he added: “I’m a pro. I’ve never been through anything like this.”

  • Christy Cooney

    TRUMP CLAIMS: 'I WON THE DEBATE BIG'

    President Trump has claimed he “won the debate big” despite polls overwhelmingly favouring rival Joe Biden.

    Taking to twitter, Trump wrote: “I won the debate big, based on compilation of polls etc. Thank you!”

    An average of polls conducted by CBS and CNN showed 54 percent of voters thought Biden won, according to NBC.

    Only 35 percent said the president had come out on top.

  • Christy Cooney

    BIDEN BACKED BY 75 PERCENT OF LGBTQ VOTERS, SAYS POLL

    Joe Biden is currently backed by 75 percent of LGBTQ voters, a poll has found.

    The survey, conducted by Pathfinder Opinion Research from September 21 to 25, found that just 17 percent of LGBTQ respondents planned to vote for the president.

    Five percent said they would vote for a candidate besides Trump or Biden, while two percent had not made up their minds.

  • Christy Cooney

    TRUMP OUTSTRIPPING BIDEN ON VOTER REGISTRATION IN KEY STATES

    President Trump is currently winning the battle to increase voter registration in key swing states.

    The news comes despite a healthy poll lead for Biden in numerous battleground states.

    Data suggest that, since March, many thousands more Republicans than Democrats have registered to vote in Arizona, Florida, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina.

    The 2016 election saw Trump win all four by a margin of less than five percent.

    The trend is partly a result of a decision by the Biden camp to shift its operation online amid the coronavirus pandemic, while the Trump campaign has continued knocking on doors across the country.

  • Christy Cooney

    GENERAL MCCHRYSTAL ENDORSES BIDEN

    Retired US Army general Stanley McChrystal, once the top US commander in Afghanistan, has endorsed Joe Biden for the presidency.

    McChrystal was frequently named as one of the best commanders in the US military when in post, but was dismissed in 2010 after an interview with Rolling Stone in which he openly criticised numerous members of the Obama administration, Biden included.

    Speaking today on NBC's Morning Joe, McChrystal said: “[When we talk about a leader] for the next four years, I think we talk about someone, in my view, like Vice President Joe Biden, who is humble enough to listen to experts, who is humble enough to respect people who serve and have served.”

    Asked whether he believed Biden would be a more effective commander-in-chief than President Trump, he said: “I do.”

  • Christy Cooney

    SIXTY-NINE PERCENT OF VOTERS 'ANNOYED' BY DEBATE

    Sixty-nine percent of voters who watched Tuesday night's debate came away feeling “annoyed”, a CBS poll has found.

    Just 17 percent said they felt “informed” by the debate, while 19 percent said it left them “pessimistic”.

    Around one third – 31 percent – said they had at least been entertained.

    The poll follows widespread criticism of the debate, which saw Joe Biden frequently interrupted by the president and both candidates engage in name-calling.

  • Christy Cooney

    FEWER INTERNATIONAL OBSERVERS AT ELECTION THAN PLANNED

    The US election is to have fewer international observers than planned due to health concerns and no invitation having been sent to Latin American groups.

    The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe had intended to send 500 observers, but will now send only 30 owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the Guardian reported.

    No invitation has been extended to representatives of the Organization of American States, which sent 41 observers from around Latin America ahead of the 2016 election.

    The news comes amid continued though unfounded claims by the president of attempts to rig the vote against him.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    PHILADELPHIA VOTING MACHINE CONTROLS STOLEN

    Officials are scrambling to investigate after voting machine controls were stolen from a Philadelphia warehouse, days after pro-Trump ballots were found trashed.

    USB drives, along with an employee's laptop, were taken some time this week, the city commissioner’s office confirmed on Wednesday, as reported by KYW-TV.

    The city commissioner's office said they are “confident” the theft “will not in any way compromise the integrity of the election,” KYW-TV reported.

    Read more here.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    FACEBOOK BANS ADS THAT FALSELY CLAIM AN ELECTION VICTORY

    Facebook has banned adverts on its platform that falsely claim a US Presidential election victory for Donald Trump or Joe Biden.

    The California tech titan announced the measure on Wednesday as part of sweeping new rules that aim to block adverts that cast doubt on the election's result.

    Ads that make claims of widespread voting fraud, suggest US election results would be invalid, or which attack any method of voting are also banned.

  • Christy Cooney

    BIDEN CAMPAIGN RAISED $3.8MILLION IN AN HOUR FOLLOWING DEBATE

    Joe Biden's campaign raised $3.8million in one hour following Tuesday's presidential debate.

    The sum, raised between 10pm and 11pm, is the most raised by the campaign in a one-hour period so far.

    Speaking after the debate, communications director Kate Bedingfield said: “Tonight we broke the single-hour record for a campaign ever on ActBlue.”

    ActBlue is a non-profit fundraising platform used to raise money for left-wing and progressive causes.

    Bedingfield continued: “And we broke our own hour record and raised $3.8m between 10 o’clock and 11 o’clock.”

  • Christy Cooney

    DEBATE HOST 'NEVER DREAMT IT WOULD GO OFF THE TRACKS LIKE IT DID'

    Chris Wallace, the host of Tuesday's debate between President Trump and Joe Biden, has said he “never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did”.

    The quality of the debate drew criticism following repeated interruptions by the president and name-calling by both candidates.

    Speaking to the New York Times, Wallace, normally an anchor for Fox News, said: “I’m just sad with the way last night turned out.”

    “I’ve read some of the reviews. I know people think, well, gee, I didn’t jump in soon enough.

    “I guess I didn’t realize – and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 – that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”

  • Christy Cooney

    'I DON'T KNOW WHO THE PROUD BOYS ARE', SAYS TRUMP

    President Trump has said he doesn't know who the Proud Boys are following criticism over his reluctance to condemn them in Tuesday night's debate.

    Leaving the White House yesterday afternoon, Trump said: “I don’t know who the Proud Boys are.

    “Whoever they are they need to stand down.”

    During a conversation about race on Tuesday, Trump was asked if he would publicly condemn white supremacist groups, with Proud Boys cited as an example.

    “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by,” he replied.

  • Christy Cooney

    TRUMP GAVE PROUD BOYS A 'NEW EMBLEM', SAYS BIDEN

    President Trump gave far-right group Proud Boys a “new emblem” when he hesitated to condemn them during Tuesday's debate, Joe Biden has said.

    Invited to condemn the group during a conversation about white supremacy, the president said: “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.”

    Speaking on Wednesday, Biden said: “They got a new emblem now, literally.

    “It says ‘Stand down and stand by’, implying that if [Trump] loses the election something may have to be done.”

  • Christy Cooney

    TRUMP HITS OUT AT DEBATE HOST AMID NEW RULES ROW

    President Trump has hit out at debate host Chris Wallace amid the row over the quality of the discussion during Tuesday night's debate.

    The president has faced criticism for frequently interrupting and talking over opponent Joe Biden during the conversation.

    The Commission on Presidential Debates has said new rules will be introduced ahead of the next event to “ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues”.

    Taking to twitter following the announcement, Trump wrote: “Try getting a new Anchor and a smarter Democrat candidate!”

Source: Read Full Article