Madeleine McCann hunt cost over £12m after cops handed extra £350,000 boost

Madeleine McCann cops have reportedly been handed an extra £350,000 to continue their probe into the missing three-year-old’s disappearance.

The total sum of the long-running investigation is now over £12million – an amount branded “an awful lot of money.”

Home Office chiefs granted Scotland Yard’s Operation Grange another lifeline meaning police will be funded until at least March next year.

Ex-Met DCI Mick Neville told The Sun that the overall sum "seems an awful lot of money" but added: "Any parent would want the same if it was their child."

German prosecutors this week have insisted they do not need the youngster’s body to put their prime suspect on trial.

They believe Christian Brueckner snatched the tot from her Portugal holiday apartment in 2007.

German cops claim they have a strong case that paedophile Brueckner, 43, abducted Madeleine, of Rothley in Leicestershire, from her ground floor room in Praia da Luz.

A trial appeared to be a step closer after Hans Christian Wolters, public prosecutor in north-west Germany, said it would not depend on finding the missing child’s body.

He said authorities just needed to be “convinced” that she is dead to put the con in the dock.

When an interviewer on Portugeuse television asked, "Do you have any material evidence that Madeleine is dead?" Wolters answered simply, "Yes".

He refused to give further details but said: "All I can say is this is like a puzzle and there are many pieces that lead us to believe ‘Christian B’ is responsible.”

But Brueckner’s lawyer Friedrich Fulscher says his client, currently serving a 21-month drug sentence in prison in the German city of Kiel, has nothing to do with Madeleine’s disappearance.

"One of the pieces is the signal from the mobile phone he was using at the time Madeleine McCann disappeared and has been shown to have been in the area of the Ocean Club resort where she was staying.

"The result of our investigation does not point in any way to the possibility the suspect might have kept Madeleine alive."

The Home Office refused to clarify the exact amount of the grant when approached by The Sun , but a spokesperson confirmed it would fund the investigation until March 31, 2021 and £12m had already been spent.

Source: Read Full Article