Still not quite willing to get the COVID-19 vaccine? Perhaps $1 million — or maybe just a free fishing license — will convince you to roll up your sleeve.
Colorado is among at least seven states offering prizes as a way to incentivize people — Ohio gave away its first $1 million to a 22-year-old woman this week.
Here is what the states are offering:
- Colorado: $1 million to five people.
- Ohio: $1 million to five people. In addition, five teenagers will get full-ride four-year scholarships to any state college or university.
- New York: $5 million jackpot, 13 prize tiers. 50 scholarships to SUNY or CUNY for 12- to 17-year-olds.
- Maryland: $2 million in total, $400,000 jackpot on July 4 with 30 drawings over the next six weeks for a $40,000 prize every day.
- Maine: Free park pass, hunting or fishing license, or a $20 gift card to L.L. Bean
- Minnesota: Eligible to select free passes to Minnesota attractions, sports, fairs and state parks or free fishing licenses
- California: $116.5 million in prize money giveaways, 10 people will get $1.5 million, another 30 people will win $50,000 each. Another 2 million people will get $50 gift cards.
Who is eligible?
- Colorado: Anyone who is vaccinated before the end of May is automatically eligible for all five drawings. Those who get vaccinated in June are still eligible for upcoming drawings. To make sure your vaccine was recorded, visit the Colorado Immunization Information System database online.
- Ohio: Must have the first vaccine shot and register to be eligible.
- New York: Must get vaccinated at one of 10 state sites from May 24-28.
- Maryland: State residents who have received one vaccine dose before July 4 are automatically registered.
- Maine: Anyone who gets the first shot before the end of May can fill out an online form.
- Minnesota: The first 100,000 people to get vaccinated between Memorial Day and the end of June.
- California: State residents who received at least one dose, including minors.
Vaccination rates (first dose, fully vaccinated) as of May 28
- Colorado: 53.4%, 44.4%
- Ohio: 45.3%, 39.6%
- New York: 54.8%, 45.9%
- Maryland: 56.6%, 46.9%
- Maine: 62.6%, 53.6%
- Minnesota: 53.7%, 45.2%
- California: 56.0%, 42.2%
Where is the money coming from?
- Colorado: CARES Act
- Ohio: CARES Act
- New York: CARES Act
- Maryland: Maryland Lottery’s Marketing Fund
- Maine: The Maine Department of Health and Human Services
- Minnesota: The state is currently seeking federal resources to fund the prizes
- California: The state’s general fund
Join our Facebook group for the latest updates on coronavirus in Colorado.
Source: Read Full Article