First positive COVID-19 case confirmed in Oxford County, Ont.

Ontario’s Southwestern Public Health has confirmed a second positive case of COVID-19 in the region, the first in Oxford County.

Public Health says the Oxford County man, who is in his 30s, had been in close contact with someone outside the region who also has the virus.

“We are following up with any contacts of the individual by telephone,” said Dr. Joyce Locke, medical officer of health for Southwest Public Health.

“This is a reminder that anyone can be infected at any age.”

Officials say the man was tested for COVID-19 after he showed up at Woodstock Hospital Emergency Department with symptoms on March 19.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Hospital officials say the appropriate infection control precautions were followed while the individual was assessed and tested.

The positive diagnosis was confirmed Wednesday, and the man remains in self-isolation.

“Our Emergency Department staff followed the appropriate precautionary measures when caring for this individual,” said Kim Hobbs, director of infection prevention at Woodstock Hospital.

Southwestern Public Health says it is investigating and following up with close contacts of the individual.

Source: Read Full Article