An electrician has been cleared of manslaughter after a seven-year-old boy was electrocuted by lights in a pub garden.
Harvey Tyrrell tragically died on September 11, 2018, at the King Harold pub in Romford, east London.
He was playing in the garden with a friend before the other child left to get a bag of crisps.
Harvey touched one of the lights while holding metal railings, creating a circuit.
Colin Naylor, 73, installed the lighting in the garden in June 2018.
Jurors at Snaresbrook Crown Court were told they had significant defects, including a lack of appropriate insulation to prevent water getting in.
Naylor denied any wrongdoing, telling police in an interview that he believed his work to be "first class".
He later dismissed an expert's suggestion of water ingress as "b*****ks".
Naylor, of Hockley Road, Rayleigh, Essex, said he thought it was more likely that the metal railings had become live due to another electricity supply.
There were a number of significant problems in the electrics throughout the pub, which was owned by Naylor's brother-in-law and fellow electrician David Bearman.
Prince Harry 'must be removed from succession' to stop 'constitutional crisis'
Bearman previously entered a guilty plea to Harvey's manslaughter.
He also admitted a charge of abstracting electricity, after an unlawful unmetered supply was used to steal energy for the King Harold.
One member of staff described the electrics at the pub as "extension leads plugged into extension leads" and said the circuit would trip intermittently.
The court heard that Naylor had worked at the premises for 48 days between April 9 and June 27, 2018, but the defendant said he "never saw any evidence of anything dangerous".
This included working on lighting in the women's toilets, lights behind the bar area, security lights, and a socket connected to the pub's fruit machines, as well as the garden lighting.
30 Taliban fighters, including six IED 'experts', killed as bomb-making class goes wrong
Naylor was found not guilty of a charge of manslaughter by gross negligence.
However, he was found guilty of a second charge of failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act by failing to take reasonable care to limit the risk or prevent the danger of serious injury or death.After Harvey’s tragic death, devastated friends and family paid tribute.
His aunt Barbara Way commented on a picture posted by Harvey’s dad online.
She said: “We saw this photo and said he would break someone’s heart one day with those looks. Little did we know that it would be everyone’s hearts that are now broken.”
Another friend wrote: “He was a beautiful, funny, kind-natured lad. He’ll be the brightest star in the sky.”
Source: Read Full Article