A three-Michelin-star restaurant on the French Riviera has been named the world’s best at a ceremony in Singapore.
Mirazur climbed from third to first in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards, replacing Italy’s Osteria Francescana in top spot.
Chef Mauro Colagreco said he felt like he “was in the sky” after winning the award, which “showed the world when you have a dream all is possible”.
The Mirazur menu is said to be inspired by the sea and mountains near the town of Menton, east of Monaco on the French/Italian border.
It describes its cuisine as “a culinary encounter, punctuated by the seasons and the producers of our region, the flavours of our gardens and the Mediterranean sea”.
The privilege of sampling Mirazur’s delights does not come cheap – the set lunch will set you back 160 euros (£143).
The 50 best list was launched in 2002 and is compiled by William Reed Business Media based on the experiences of more than 1,000 industry experts. It now rivals the long-established Michelin star system.
A rule change for this year means previous winners cannot compete for the title, instead they go into the newly created Best of the Best category.
Spain has three restaurants in the top 10, while Denmark and new hot culinary destination Peru each have two.
Only two UK eateries, both based in London, make the top 50. The Clove Club is at 27, with Lyle’s at 33.
The full World’s 50 Best Restaurants list:
1. Mirazur (Menton, France)
2. Noma (Copengagen, Denmark)
3. Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo, Spain)
4. Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand)
5. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
6. Central (Lima, Peru)
7. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
8. Arpege (Paris, France)
9. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
10. Maido (Lima, Peru
11. Den (Tokyo, Japan)
12. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
13. White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)
14. Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
15. Septime (Paris, France)
16. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athenee (Paris, France)
17. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
18. Odette (Singapore)
19. Twins Garden (Moscow, Russia)
20. Tickets (Barcelona, Spain)
21. Frantzen (Stockholm, Sweden)
22. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
23. Cosme (New York City, USA)
24. Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
25. Alleno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris, France)
26. Borago (Santiago, Chile)
27. The Clove Club (London, United Kingdom)
28. Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, USA)
29. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
30. Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
31. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
32. Nerua (Bilbao, Spain)
33. Lyle’s (London, United Kingdom)
34. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
35. Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, USA)
36. Le Bernardin (New York City, USA)
37. Alinea (Chicago, USA)
38. Hisa Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
39. A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
40. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
41. The Chairman (Hong Kong)
42. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
43. Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
44. Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa)
45. Suhring (Bangkok, Thailand)
46. De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
47. Benu (San Francisco, USA)
48. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai, China)
49. Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
50. Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
Source: Read Full Article